Perfect mom and daughter day in Liberty VillageNeighbourhood | Written on January 8, 2015
For Kim Cooke, Liberty Village was the best location she and her husband could have chosen to raise their 15-month-old daughter Scarlett. “I’m so happy we decided to start a family here in the city,” she says. “There are so many cultural and educational things you can do to give your child diversity in the city over the suburbs.”
Cooke works from home allowing her to spend plenty of time with Scarlett—though it means she spends most of her time here. “We very rarely get out of the neighbourhood so we try to make the most of the general area.”
We caught up with her to get her perfect day with Scarlett:
1. Start your morning at Amici This mommy/daddy and me class caters to mini musicians. Scarlett loves their Music-Together classes, which are for children under five accompanied by a loved one. A fun and relaxed environment, this is a community that shares songs, instruments and rhythm chants in a performance-oriented setting.
2. Pick up a new outfit at Love Me Do Baby & Maternity This full service baby boutique offers everything from baby camo sets and booties to the best strollers on the market. Not to mention, they offer added services like drop-in storytime and events.
3. Hang out with other moms: There are several parks and playgrounds within walking distance and Cooke loves heading there with other moms. She met many of them at Family Village Health Team, where they group children born within the same few weeks together. “I met several other moms there within weeks of Scarlett’s birth so we take the strollers out, get coffee and have playdates.”
4. Meet-ups “There’s a lot of kid friendly things going on in the area. I love meet up groups and finding events on social media. You don’t even need a car!”
5. People watch Going to the nearby Metro is part of Kim’s regular routine and Scarlett loves waving to the woman at the bakery. “People know Scarlett and have seen her grow up. The term village is key in describing this neighbourhood because it feels like a small town in the big city.”
What’s your favourite mommy/daughter thing to do in Liberty Village? Tweet us @liveinlibertyTO.